Tuesday, August 10, 2010

be your Dr.?

I took Dixie, my grandparents beloved golden, to the vet today. She had some crazy goo coming from her her baby doll eyes. I love to go to the vet because that was my childhood dream of "what I wanted to be when I grew up." So it's like taking a step back into my pee wee days.

But besides a ride down memory lane, the trip to the see Dr. Ladd illuminated on something so much more. Any pet in our family has gone to Dr. Ladd for the past 20+ years. He has become more than just the occasional visit and friendly face. I'm not really sure I can even put words to the meaning he holds to all of us in our family, but it's significant to say the least. Yes he cares for our best friends, the pups, but he also has a heart for every person in our family. I spent the first 15 minutes in the waiting room with Dixie discussing how my grandfather was and if there was anything he could do to help. This man is a remarkable veterinarian, but also a stand up and incredible man He takes all of his work to heart. I say with no doubt that we are not his only clients he treats this way. Granted we have been seeing him for the past 20 some years, yet he hasn't changed a bit since day one.

There is something to be said about the character of a man inside and outside of his work. Dr. Ladd is the same no matter where he is. I left the vet saying to myself how wonderful he is and you know he truly cares. I only hope that I can exude that genuine compassion for my work and my patients when I'm working with them. I want to be able to connect with everyone and anyone I come in touch with in a sincere and real way that shows them I'm more than just a professional face on the other side. Who knows what that could mean to someone on that particular day. Dr. Ladd renewed it in me that it's possible to be successful in your profession and still wear your heart on your sleeve for those around you without losing the greater aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment